Virgo Roma Tor Vergata
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati)

2 posters

Go down

Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati) Empty Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati)

Post  mdipaolo Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:28 pm

I have done some measure about low noise pre-amplifier built in Frascati.

I have measured the transfer function

Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati) Transf11

and the Noise (AC coupling) refered to the output of the pre-amplifier.
The Theoretical Gain of this pre-amplifier is 100. The Measured Gain is around 110
and the noise measured at 1kHz is 0.9 nV/sqrt(hz).

Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati) Coupli12

After i have measured the noise refered to the output of the pre-amplifier in DC coupling.

Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati) Coupli14

In this case the noise is more bigger that noise in ac coupling.

Last edited by mdipaolo on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

mdipaolo

Back to top Go down

Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati) Empty Low Noise Pre-amplifier

Post  mdipaolo Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:35 pm

Today i would try measure the noise with a power supply and don't use the batteries.

mdipaolo

Back to top Go down

Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati) Empty Comments

Post  Alessio Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Very well Maurizio. It seems the new pre amp is working fine (looking at graph 2). If I look at graph 3, I think there is a problem with the measurement, but it is not important. I have a question: what is the DC output of the pre? It should be around zero.

Another question: it seems that the gain is constant at all frequencies, why do you say it is 100 and 110 at 1kHz?

I would not loose to much time on chaging the pre to use a power supply, I would immediately measure the dark noise of PD12595 and, if the measurement is good, imtegrate it in the closed loop measurement setup.
Alessio
Alessio

Back to top Go down

Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati) Empty DC Out of the Pre-Ampl

Post  mdipaolo Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:39 pm

The DC output of the pre-amp is around -1 V.

I have tried to measure the noise of the pre-amp when it is into the lab laser. The data are very strange, in particular the noise is very high...around 10 nV. I dont't report the graphs and tomorrow i will try to measure the noise and in particular to measure the 12595 PD noise.

mdipaolo

Back to top Go down

Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati) Empty DC output of the pre-amp & other info

Post  mdipaolo Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:16 pm

Today i have had some difficulty into measures and i have observed that the voltage of the batterie is 8 V. I have observed things strange in the spectrum and to the end i have changed the battery with the power supply. The voltage of the battery was 8 V. I think that if the voltage is 8 V the polarization of the JFET change and can change the characteristics of the pre-amp.

I have used the power supply and in the following graph the comparison of the noise of the pre-amp with battery and power supply...so, more o less is the same but the life of the battery is very short.

Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati) Confro10

After i have measured the noise of the PD 12595. I report the graphs V/sqrt(hz) vs Frequency (hz).

Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati) Noise_10

Now i would measure the noise of the laser with PD 12595. After to start with measure of loop.

Last thing, The DC output of the pre-amp isn't 0 but is -1 V...For decreasing this value the voltage of the power supply must be increased.

mdipaolo

Back to top Go down

Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati) Empty Re: Low Noise Pre-amplifier (Frascati)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down